Top 5 Best Dog Foods for Goldendoodles

Which is the best dog food for your Goldendoodle?

Goldendoodles are a crossbreed, so they can be a little difficult to pin down when it comes to food. They are known for being hypoallergenic, intelligent, and trainable. Goldendoodles are a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. They are therefore considered medium-sized dogs. When it comes to food, Goldendoodles need specific diets in order to stay healthy and active. Goldendoodles love to eat and need a diet that is high in protein.

Remember this saying when choosing the food that’s right for your dog:

“You can either spend money on healthy dog food now, or you can spend money on vet bills later.” – unknown

Goldendoodle Dog Food Products We Recommend In This Article



ORIJEN Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food

  • Antioxidants, complex carbohydrates and prebiotics all in one
  • Contains the perfect amount of soluble and insoluble fiber
  • Designed with ease of digestion in mind
  • Great flavors
  • This product requires authorization from your veterinarian to purchase

As a dog owner, you want to provide your canine companion with the best possible nutrition. ORIJEN Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is packed with different types of whole animal ingredients, making it a perfect choice for your pup. This kibble offers your furry friend free-run turkey and chicken, wild-caught or sustainably farmed fish, and cage-free eggs. Your dog will love the taste of this food, and you’ll love knowing that you’re giving him the nourishment he needs to thrive.

This is definitely a biologically appropriate diet for any dog.

Sample Shopper Review – “My Akitas are no longer puppies, but this, along with the Puppy Large variety, was definitely their favorite kibble growing up. It got a bit expensive (for me personally) to maintain their diet, but I felt it was worth it to see them enjoy their regular meals. As an added bonus, their poop was usually in good shape when on this relatively high-protein dry food. Certain other brands contained more of what seemed like fillers and resulted in softer stool that was more difficult to pick up, smelled worse, and so on. Absolutely recommended to keep large pups in great health and growing/maintaining well.”

Rachael Ray Nutrish Real Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food

Rachel Ray is well known for her ability to turn healthy and organic food into works of art that leave your mouth watering. Well, she somehow was able to do something similar with her Rachael Ray Nutrish Real Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food. In an effort to keep it as Goldendoodle friendly as possible, she even uses beet powder rather than chemical food dyes to enhance the appearance of this great dog food.

Sample Shopper Review – “This was the third brand of dry dog food I bought after my two dogs, age 2, stopped eating Beneful. Apparently, my girls have seasonal allergies and the Beneful stopped agreeing with them. I switched to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach (salmon) and they wouldn’t try one bite. I mean, come on, they eat grass and sticks and they won’t touch dog food?! Anyway, I donated all that food to the local humane society and bought Rachel Rae’s Nutrish. They ate her puppy food, so I figured I’d give it a whirl. Not only do they LOVE it, but they’re going #2 regularly now and with no issues. I bought supplements for their skin to counter the lack of skin-specific ingredients in the Nutrish.”

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food

The raw food that nature intended dogs to eat is found abundantly in Taste of the Wild High-Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. It provides a delicious and balanced diet for your canine pal, featuring buffalo and bison proteins, peas and sweet potatoes that can help maintain the metabolic health of your pet, and roughly 15 fruit and vegetable elements that help reduce free radicals and inflammation. Chicory root provides balanced and bioavailable prebiotics that are optimal for your pet’s general system. Most dogs love the flavor of this particular dog food as well which can be a major bonus. 

Sample Shopper Review – “I was recommended Taste of the Wild back in 2011 when I adopted a bloodhound that had terrible itching and ear infections. It did the trick. So much better than what the grocery stores carried. So now my daughter has rescued two coonhounds and had the same problem. I ordered Taste of the Wild (both wet & dry) for her to give her dogs and they are doing much better. Chewy is so easy and fast to use – love them.”

American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food

American Journey Grain-Free recipes for dogs are designed to make a meal satisfying and delicious for your canine, along with providing them with all of the protein and nonfat nutrients their body needs for a healthy, active life. In order to make what nature already made simple, begin by adding lean salmon, healthy fruits and vegetables, and vitamins and minerals, without neglecting to include elements that provide your pet with essential proteins like poultry by-products or wheat. A great choice for Goldendoodles looking for a little extra nutrition in their diet. 

Sample Shopper Review – “Our Cur loves this new food! He was a rescue and has been picky with a similar type of food. It wasn’t available, so I substituted this. I’m so glad I did! He’s gobbling up every morsel now. I still add a little broth to it, but I hope to slowly get him to eating it without the additional sodium. Thanks Chewy for the recommendation!”

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is an excellent food for dogs who need to lose weight. It’s made with high-quality ingredients that help keep dogs feeling full and satisfied, even when they’re not getting as much exercise as they used to. 

Some dogs are prone to bad rashes on their stomach due to allergies and many owners have reported that once they switched to this food, there was a significant reduction in itching and other problems.

Sample Shopper Review – “Our blue heeler has always had skin issues on her tummy & we switched to Blue Buffalo a few years ago & her allergies went away! Not to mention she is very picky with her food & loves this food (she refuses to eat anything else now). Her 2 Labrador sisters also love it.”

Nutro Natural Choice Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food

As a pet owner, it’s important to give your dog the best possible nutrition at every stage of their life. Nutro Natural Choice Dry Dog Food excels at bringing together all the natural ingredients needed to support your Goldendoodle. 

Their foods are made with clean, wholesome ingredients that are absolutely perfect for Goldendoodles. Their “Feed Clean” philosophy helps them ensure their foods are healthy, natural, and rich in nutrients. As a bonus, they also have a taste most dogs go nuts for! Plus, they don’t use any fillers or additives, so you know your dog is getting exactly what he or she needs on a daily basis.

Sample Shopper Review – “I had never purchased this food before but gave it a chance when I agreed to foster an 8-year-old hound. I don’t know what he ate prior to this but he liked it and didn’t experience any stomach upset. It has quality ingredients and is readily digested. Would buy again.”

I Want To Switch My Goldendoodles Dog’s Food Without Making Her Sick. How Do I Do It?

It can be very important to slowly transition your dog off of one type of food and onto another. Most vets recommend you make the conversion over a week-long period by slowly increasing the new food while decreasing the old dog food. It’s always best to check with your vet prior to switching dog foods. 

Check out the infographic at the end of this section for a quick overview of how to switch from one type of food to another. 

DAY 1 – 75% OLD & 25% NEW

It’s important to remember that although you are making the dog food change over about a one-week period, you actually start out a bit aggressively. You want to allow lots of time for your dog’s digestive system to transition from the old, original dog food you were feeding them to the new dog food you are moving them onto. That being said, because there is still a decent amount of original food in the mix on the first day, you can get away with eliminating a quarter of the old stuff right off the hop. 

Replace 25% of your Goldendoodles dog food and mix it in with the remaining 75% of the original food.

DAY 2 – 60% OLD & 40% NEW

On day 2 you can cut out another good 15% of the old and replace it with the new dog food you are switching to. 

Replace 40% of the old dog food and mix it with the remaining 60% of the original food. 

Day 3 – 50% OLD & 50% NEW

Replace an additional 10% of the old dog food with the new and you are half way there. 

Day 4 – 40% OLD & 60% NEW

Replace an additional 10% of the old dog food with the new. 

DAY 5 – 25% OLD & 75% NEW

On day 5 you can cut out another good 15% of the old and replace it with the new dog food you are switching to. 

Replace 75% of the old dog food and mix it with the remaining 25% of the original food. 

DAY 6 – 10% OLD & 90% NEW

On day 6 you can cut out another good 15% of the old and replace it with the new dog food you are switching to. 

DAY 7 – 100% NEW

On day 7 you can feed your Goldendoodle 100% new dog food and could consider donating any of the old leftover dog food to your local animal shelter

When Is It Safe To Switch My Goldendoodle Puppy to Dog Food for Adults?

The question of when to switch a Goldendoodle puppy to adult dog food is an important one, as making the transition too early or too late can lead to health problems.

As a general rule of thumb, Goldendoodles should be switched to adult dog food around 1 year of age. This is because their bodies are not yet fully developed and they need the extra nutrients that puppy food provides. 

For a more in-depth explanation; according to, small breed dogs weighing less than 20 lbs once fully grown are ready to transition to adult dog food at 9-12 months, medium breed dogs weighing between 20 to 50 lbs are ready at 12-14 months old and large breeds weighing over 50 lbs are ready at 12-24 months. 

So the larger the breed of dog, the longer they can remain on the puppy food. 

Does a Goldendoodle Require a Special Diet or Need a Certain Type of Dog Food?

Like most dogs, Goldendoodles require a very balanced diet to be at their healthiest. A daily mix of various proteins, fruits, and vegetables will give them the variety needed while still allowing them to get the required minerals and vitamins they thrive on.

Some Goldendoodle dog owners like to make their own dog foods from scratch. This can be a great way to know exactly what your dog is getting nutrition-wise and also can help save money at times. This allows you to tailor your food to the nutritional needs of your dog but can also be a lot of work. 

What Dog Food Is Best for a Goldendoodle Puppy?

Like most dogs, Goldendoodles thrive on high-quality proteins including wild game animals as well as chicken, beef, turkey, venison, etc. A variety of seeds and healthy oils should also be a staple in your dog’s diet.

Another important dietary consideration may be the sourcing of your Goldendoodles dog food. Look for a reputable distributor who is known for their ethics, reliability, and knowledge.   

Taste of the wild has a really great puppy formula designed to help your pup grow strong and healthy. 

Which Is the Best Dog Food for Older Goldendoodles?

There are many factors to consider when picking the best food for your older Goldendoodle. The first is to make sure you are getting high-quality food that is designed specifically for older dogs. It is also important to pick a food that is rich in nutrients and antioxidants, which can help keep your Goldendoodle healthy as they age.

One of the best dog foods for older Goldendoodles is Nutro Natural Choice Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food. This food is made with high-quality ingredients and includes omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for joint health. It also has a moderate calorie content, which is important for older dogs who may be less active.

What Should You Consider Before Choosing a Dog Food for Your Goldendoodle?

When choosing food for your Goldendoodle, you need to consider several things. 

  1. First, you need to find out what kind of food your dog can have. Goldendoodles can be either allergic or intolerant to certain kinds of food. 
  2. Second, you need to determine the right amount of food for your dog. Too much or too little food can lead to health problems. 
  3. Third, you should consider the ingredients in the food. Choose a food that is high in protein and low in fat. 
  4. Fourth, you need to decide whether you want to feed your Goldendoodle dry kibble or wet food. Wet food is often more expensive but it may be easier for your dog to digest. 
Jeremy Paul


Jeremy has an extensive background in ghostwriting and has written many articles as well as a book on a huge range of topics. He has worked extensively with a number of websites on everything from clothing to sports. As an avid outdoor lover, he and his wonderful wife spend their days out in the sun on the family farmstead looking after the animals.


New Dog Owners

Are you a new fur-baby owner and looking for some guidance on how best to raise your pup to be a kind, gentle and well-behaved adult dog?

Then Check Out Adrienne Farricelli's

Adrienne's gentle and force-free training techniques help get your dog excited to learn and can really strengthen the bond between dog and owner!

Adrienne is a professional CPDT-KA certified dog trainer with over 10 years of experience. She'll help you train your furry friend to become a well-behaved, more intelligent dog who follows your every command!"

Leave a Comment